Director of the Cognitive Behavioral/Dialectical Behavior Therapy Clinic
(Emphasis Area: Adult Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
Dr. McFarr received her Ph.D. from New York University in clinical psychology and trained as a cognitive behavioral therapist under Dr. Robert Leahy at the American Institute for Cognitive Therapy. Dr. McFarr is an award winning trainer of psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers and psychiatric nurses in Cognitive Behavioral Therapies including DBT, CBASP, and ACT. She has twice been acknowledged as Teacher of the Year for the Department of Psychiatry at Harbor-UCLA and has also received Psychologist of the Year from the LA County Department of Mental Health. Dr. McFarr is a Beck Scholar and is on the executive board for both the Academy of Cognitive Therapy, and The International Association for Cognitive Therapy. She is an Ambassador and Fellow for the Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) and the recipient of the Service Award for ABCT. She founded the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Society of Southern California as well as the listserves for the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) and CBASP. Dr. McFarr conducts research on supervision, training and adherence in CBT, DBT, CBASP and ACT as well as studies on Therapy Interfering Behaviors and Secondary Targets in DBT. She is a member of the Dialectical Behavior Therapy Strategic Planning Meeting. She is published in the areas of CBT for schizophrenia, medication compliance and adult friendships issues as well as papers on DBT processes, CBT training, and the development of model curricula for training doctoral students in CBT. Dr. McFarr was intensively trained in DBT in 2000 and 2010 and CBASP in 2007.
- Dissemination and Implementation of Evidence Based Psychotherapies
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapies (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Research in Outcomes of CBT, DBT, ACT, and CBASP interventions.
- CBT Training/Supervision
- Professor of Health Sciences, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
- Faculty, Cognitive Behavioral Training Institute
- B.A., Psychology, University of California at Berkeley
- M.A., Clinical Psychology, New York University
- Pre-doctoral Internship, Sepulveda VA
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, New York University
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Adult Psychiatry, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center